You may qualify for help with medical insurance depending on your state’s laws
- Medicaid is a government health insurance program for individuals and families whose income and resources are insufficient to pay for health care. Click here to learn about Medicaid options in your state
- In the state of Tennessee the Medicaid program is called TennCare, you can find out more info about TennCare here
- It is important to note that if you do not qualify financially for state Medicaid because you make too much money there are still options for help
- Your child may qualify for you state’s Medicaid program based solely on medical eligibility. In the state of Tennessee this is called TennCare Select. Your child’s medical status for eligibility is evaluated when you apply for Disability/SSI (your child can qualify for TennCare Select even if your income does not allow you to receive an SSI check)
- You may ask to speak to the social worker at your child’s hospital for help navigating the world of government insurance and disability benefits
- Get started applying early! It may take 6-12 months to get your child processed and approved to state insurance (most insurance policies are retroactive after approval)
- If you do not qualify for state Medicaid because you make too much money, your child may qualify for the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
- In the state of Tennessee this is called CoverKids
Supplemental Security Income (SSI) – Your child may qualify to receive disability benefits due to their medical condition. You can check eligibility requirements and apply here. Keep in mind, if you do not meet the financial requirements you may still qualify for state Medicaid insurance solely based on your child’s medical condition.
Help in the Hospital
- Talk to your hospital’s social worker if you need financial help during your child’s hospital stay. He or she may be able to help you find temporary housing, apply for help programs, and give food vouchers.
- There are several organizations that offer financial support to CHD families. Take a look at the following organizations:
- Kari’s Heart Foundation
- The Erika Kate Foundation
- Jamie’s Heart Foundation
- If you are in the Nashville Area, Haley’s Hearts Foundation accepts applications for CHD families in financial need.
- Ethan M. Lindberg Foundation
- Jessie’s Heart (Colorado)
- Heart’s of Steel Foundation (Tulsa, Oklahoma)
- Nick and Kelly Children’s Heart Fund (Arizona)